Contact KO Floors at
Our work is as much about character as it is about craftsmanship.
It's a symbol of our commitment and a reflection of the lives of those who enjoy it.
Things to Consider When Choosing Hardwood Floors from Suffolk County’s Leading Hardwood Flooring Contractor, KO Floors
For more than 50 years, KO Floors has been the go-to source for hardwood flooring in Suffolk County. Whether you’re looking to install new wood flooring or you’d like to refinish your existing floors, the team at KO Floors has got you covered. Offering a large selection of products, the highest quality services, and prices that simply can’t be beaten, it’s no wonder why homeowners consider us the most reputable wood flooring company in the North Sea, NY area.
Versatility, timelessness, durability, low-maintenance, and an outstanding return on investment are just some of the advantages that wood flooring offers. With so many benefits, it’s easy to see why hardwood is the most popular floor covering in Suffolk County.
While there’s no doubt that hardwood is an excellent choice for your flooring, you want to make sure you choose the right option. There are so many different types and styles available, especially when you’re working with a top-rated North Sea hardwood flooring contractor, like KO Floors. In order to make the process a bit less daunting, here’s a look at some of the top factors we suggest our clients take into consideration when they’re shopping for hardwood floors.
The Style of Your Home
One of the first and most important factors that you should consider when selecting hardwood flooring is the interior style of your North Sea home. Sure, any kind of wood flooring will tie in seamlessly with all types of interior design; however, it’s a good idea to pick something that speaks to your individual taste and the overall style of your home. For example, if your home is contemporary, narrow planks in light tones with a glossy finish may work better than darker colors and wide planks. On the other hand, if you have a craftsmen or industrial-style home, dark woods and wider planks with a more natural finish, such as distressed, wire brushed, or hand scraped, might be better suited.
If you’re unsure what type of wood flooring you should choose, one of the consultants at our hardwood flooring company will be able to point you in the right direction. We suggest bringing in some pictures of the interior of your house, or we could schedule a home-based consultation and bring samples of several different styles in for you to view.
Natural or Engineered
You’ll also want to decide if you want to install natural or engineered hardwood. While both options are available in various styles and each one looks beautiful, there are distinct differences between the two.
- Natural hardwood. Real hardwood is comprised of 100% wood; in other words, it’s solid. It’s made from an assortment of species, such as maple, oak, hickory, maple, and cherry. The hardness, and thus, the durability, varies from species to species. However, natural wood does tend to expand and contract and it can, but it can also be sanded and refinished over and over again. There are alternative, highly sustainable options, too, such as bamboo and cork (though technically, they aren’t classified as “hardwood”).
- Engineered hardwood. Engineered wood is a composite. It’s comprised of layers of natural hardwood and plywood, whereas natural hardwood is just that: 100% solid wood. Like natural wood, it also comes in a variety of styles, including oak, cherry, maple, and more. The durability also varies and depends on the thickness of the boards, the veneer, and the finish. One major benefit of engineered wood is that it doesn’t expand or contract; however, while engineered wood does look and feel just like natural hardwood, there’s something to be said about the real deal.
In terms of price, engineered and natural wood are pretty comparable. In regard to installation, hardwood tends to be more labor-intensive and takes a bit longer, but the results are long-lasting and timeless.
Which should you choose? It really depends on your specific needs and goals. The expert technicians at KO Floors can help you make the right decision.
What’s your lifestyle like? Is your home relatively quiet with little foot traffic, or is it a boisterous space filled with children and pets? Your general lifestyle can have a major impact on your flooring, as the type and amount of activity the floors receive will impact their longevity. While hardwood is one of the most durable flooring options, certain varieties are hardier, and thus, more durable than others.
For lively spaces, a harder wood, such as hard maple or beech may be a better choice but if your home is more of a quiet space, a softer wood, such as black walnut or cherry may be a suitable option.
It goes without saying that you’re going to want to consider your budget when you’re shopping for wood flooring. While KO Floors does offer the best prices around, it’s a good idea to establish your budget before beginning your search so that you don’t end up spending more than you can comfortably afford.
When determining your budget, you shouldn’t only consider the cost of the material itself and the installation; we also suggest you think about the long-term maintenance. If material endures a lot of wear and tear, you might have to sand and refinish it more frequently. At KO Floors, we do offer refinishing services and are prices are very reasonable; however, if you’re having your floors refinished every few years, the price can start to add up.
If you aren’t sure what type of material will work for your budget, just let us know how much you’re looking to spend and we’ll help you find a product that will work with your budget – as well as the look of your home and your lifestyle.
KO Floors: Suffolk County’s Most Trusted Hardwood Flooring Contractor
With more than 50 years of experience, you can be sure that KO Floors can assist you with all of your hardwood flooring needs. We offer a vast selection of options to choose from and our knowledgeable associates can certainly help you choose the best wood flooring for your North Sea, NY home. Once you’ve selected your new flooring, we’ll expertly install it so you can enjoy beautiful floors for years to come.
If you’d like to schedule an appointment for a consultation, please give us a call at 631-693-4388. We’ll be more than happy to meet with you and we look forward to transforming your home.
- Learn more about North Sea, NY 11968
- Open a North Sea, NY map
- Find the North Sea, NY United States Post Office
- Locate nearby North Sea, NY pharmacies
- View the current North Sea, NY weather report
- Browse a list of North Sea, NY public and private schools
- North Sea, NY is located in Suffolk county in New York State